Friday, December 30, 2011

FO Friday: Swap Time!

Wow, sorry I didn't post anything on Wednesday! I actually had finished the project I'm going to show off today on Tuesday, therefor no WIP on Wed, and I hadn't progressed on any of my other projects at that point! I'm kind of a slacker in that sense, but I did get an entire project done in 4 days. That's pretty impressive if I do say so myself.

Now, some of you may know that I am taking place in an Arts and Sciences swap within the SCA. The particular swap is called Noblese Largesse, and it's pretty cool. When you sign up, you are required to fill out a questionnaire, and from there I'll quote from the Noblese Largesse's facebook page.

So, how is this supposed to work?

No doubt, you've noticed that you've had to fill out a questionnaire. We use an Excel spreadsheet and the RAND function to take your name and match it with someone else. We will then send you the information that your recipient filled out on their questionnaire. It is for you to decide at this point what to make them. After you make the object(s), send it out. Please make sure you send a note with your item, revealing yourself to your recipient.

Also, there's a limit to how much you can spend on materials. $20

Pretty simple, eh?  Well, yes and no. I had quite a few difficulties trying to choose what to make for my swap partner. Being a new SCAdian, and new to the world of A&S as a whole, I didn't have a wide variety of skill sets to pull from. I have knitting, I can make some glass beads, I can do some pathetic embroidery. That's about it, so I went to what I know best; knitting. Now, what to make?

From the questionaire I received, my partner has a French persona, her colors are red and gold, and to throw a wrench into my plans, she tries to only wear period (and persona) appropriate garb. I know nothing about late period French knitted garments as of right now, which is sad since my persona is late period French. Realizing I was kinda screwed, I asked if my partner liked shawls. Nope.

Time for plan B! Problem. There was no plan B. So, I spent the greater part of 2 months trying to find something I could actually make, and would be something my partner would enjoy and use. My solution? Mittens! I found this free pattern on Ravelry for these mittens, and I'm in love with them. Check it out!




I think they're pretty spiff. They're made out of a sport weight 100% wool yarn called Wool Of The Andes purchased at Knitpicks. This yarn was much softer than I expected and wears amazingly well. Not to mention, at under $3 a ball, I was able to purchase all the yarn I needed, for a little over half of my budget which still left money for the knitting needles and notions I needed! I would highly recommend this yarn. 

So, what do you guys think? I'm pretty proud of myself. I think I'll end up making more mittens in the future. Now that I know I can do this, why wouldn't I want to make such a fast, and easily transportable project?

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful! The color work is lovely. I certainly wouldn't mind getting a pair of these ;)

    ReplyDelete